Friday, 30 May 2014

Day 4

It's Day 4 of OELP!

Places we went:
-National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts
-Formosa Aboriginal Cultural Village
-Fengjia Night Market

National Taiwan Musum of Fine Arts 國立台灣美術館







Formosa Aboriginal Cultural Village 九族文化村



There was an amusement park there!


We took the cablecar up to the aboriginal cultural village.




This woman who was at the aboriginal cultural village was really kind and she easily striked up a conversation with us!


We stayed to watch the performance by them!




They were selling some desserts for NTD50 and we bought it! It was pineapples with ice cream on top and it tasted really nice even though it was just a simple treat.



\

Fengjia Night Market 逢甲夜市

We went to Fengjia Night Market for dinner and bought many different kinds of food, some of which uncle jeff had recommended and everything was nice!







Gabbie:
Fourth day of oelp! Time passes so fast, half of the trip is gone :( But we had so much fun today! Firstly we went to the national museum of fine arts, there were many interesting paintings there. Thankfully there was a guide to help us explain what the paintings means and expresses otherwise i would not have thought much about it. Secondly we went to the formosan aborigine village, we had to take cable car up to see the sun moon lake. I was just moaning throughout the whole ride as i was afraid of heights, it was terrifying. However the aborigines performances were really interesting and their costumes are really nice and traditional. I hope that this culture will not die as this is something that is educational to everyone and it is psrt of taiwan. Lastly we went to FengJia night market, i was kind of disappointed as it was not what i expected but there were still nice food and drinks! There were many teenagers enjoyjng themselves even though it was late at night, this shows that the night market targets at teenagers instead of senior citizens. I enjoyed myself alot today and i would miss the places we went today:(

Jean:
It's the 4th day. Today we visited National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts, Formosa Aboriginal Cultural Village and Fengjia night market. At National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts, i could see a many different kinds of abstract arts that actually have a very deep meaning. Without the explanation by the guide, i probably wont even understand what kind of message the artist is trying to bring across. I feel that the pieces of art at the museum are each very special in a way, the artists had represented their feelings and their message in the pieces and instead of selling them for money, they put them at the museum for exhibition, because they want to spread their message to people. I find the trip at the museum very interesting and extremely meaningful. 

Next we went to Formosa Aboriginal Cultural Village. At the cultural village, there was a amusement park too. I think it is sad now that the aborigines are minority and could be extinct very soon, and the amusement park was built to better attract the younger generation in order to educate them about the aborigines. The fact that will be saddening to know is that the younger generation will probably go there and have fun, forgetting about learning the culture of the aborigines, defeating the main purpose of the cultural village. I stayed to watch the performances by the aborigines and it was actually very entertaining! 


Finally, we went to Fengjia night market to have free and easy dinner. I walked around with my friends and we all bought different kinds of food each to share and all the food was very nice and cheap. I think that the night market is so successful as a tourist attraction because there are many many shops selling a wide variety of things and the things sold doesnt necessarily have to be food or drinks. At the night market there was also some shops that sold trendy clothes. I think that it's also because the food sold there are also really cheap, and they also taste very good. All the stall holders are also very friendly and patient with us so I think that is why many people enjoy going to the night markets, I also enjoy going to night markets in Taiwan! I feel that entrepreneurship and creativity plays a huge role in the success of the night markets. There are some clothing stores there which are operated by young adults and they sell very trendy clothes, I myself even bought some. Some of the shops are also 'themed' and each sells different kinds of clothing, e.g. street fashion, only mens clothing, tumblr style, etc.  to better attract people who have different kinds of tastes / styles. Overall i had a really fulfilling day and i want more night market food because it all tastes great. I hope that tomorrow will be more fun! 

Yixiang: it's the forth day of oelp. Wow, time passes really fast when we are having fun. Firstly, we visited the National Museum of Fine Arts. When I first entered the museum everything was boring and stuff like that. As we start to move deeper into the museum, things got better. The art pieces in the museum were interesting and unique. The artists were creative and many of the art pieces had a deep meaning to it. Without the guide explaining every art piece to us, I would probably not understand anything. After that, we went to the Formusa Aboriginal Culture Village. The village had an amusement park to attract young teenagers to come to the village. Even though the prime objective of the village is to educate the people about aborigines, young teenagers had no interest in this kind of stuff. Hence they had to built an amusement park so as to attract teenagers. We went to the fengjia nigh market next. It is the biggest night market in Taiwan. I bought shirts and many food over there. The food was delicious and awesome. Due to the huge number of shops selling trendy shirts, many young adults would shop there. The target of this night market was the young adults not the elderly. I had fun today and hope that I would be able to go there again.

Kai Ming:
Fourth day of OELP!!! Today we visited the national museum of fine arts that showcased many unique art pieces and drawings. It was really a shame for me because I was "half blind" throughout the whole museum tour because I didn't wear my lenses and my spectacle. I had to lend Douglas's glasses throughout the whole tour and I felt really blur because I couldn't see anything. But through the tour guide's explanation, I could tell and understand the art pieces better and hence enjoy the tour even though I was blind. Next, we went to the Formusa Aborginal Culture Village. It was a theme park cum cultural village. We took the cable car to the 日夜谭 (sun moon lake) and took it again and again. And again. It was really cool at first but it soon became boring as it was repetitive. On one of the rides, it was really foggy and all of us started taking pictures. Those pictures were really foggy thus they are not included here. Most of the people in the class went to take the free fall ride and really enjoyed it. I, on the other hand, did not take in and fully regret it. The culture village was tons of fun but it was rally disappointing to see that a theme park had to be built to attract people's attention just for people to actually notice the cultural village. These cultures are slowly dying and it is hard to for people to appreciate it and the theme park is actually a good way of making people notice them but it is actually very sad to think of it. Next, we went to fengjia night market where we had free time to eat and shop which was really satisfying because it's what we like and also something we cannot find much in Singapore. 


Petra
Day four of OELP! ((Sorry if my day four reflection is not very indepth as my memory of the places we went is not as clear as someone deleted my reflection by accident)) We visited three different places today, namely the National Museum of Fine Arts, Formosa Aboriginal Cultural Village and Fengjia Night Market! 

First stop National Museum of Fine Arts.
I have to say the museum definitely had many eye catching and unique piece of art that I would remember for life, but i felt that apart from those piece of art, not all were very Impressive and some almost looked just average. The tour guide did an excellent job of thoroughly explaining the different art pieces and how they came about. I came to learn to appreciate arts as it is something I deeply enjoy looking at especially if it's something unique that you wouldn't see often. 

Second stop, Formosa Aboriginal Cultural Village.
This was hands down of the the most exciting and interesting places I've been to out of the whole Taiwan trip so far! The place was well rounded with an educational and entertainment component! We were able to learn about the Taiwanese Native culture and witness them perform a traditional dance. What made it even more special was that we were able to interact with them by learning their traditional dance with them as they danced step by step with us! It was an unforgettable moment and I even got a picture with one of the aboriginals too! The amusement park was unforgettable especially with the company of my classmates as we took on the various rides, even a heart stopping one, the freefall. I also had the chance to sit on a cable car up into the mountains, witnessing the plain but yet beautiful green scenery and at the same time bond with my friends and teachers in the ride as we joked about! I think this trip really bonded us as a class, running around together , having fun and conquering fears ((the free fall ride)) and I wouldn't hesitate to come here again!

Third stop, Fengjia night market
FINALLY, SHOPPING TIME! It was the first night market and last night market that we were going to visit in this trip. We all split up into our own individual groups to tour the place. With me was Esther, Jean and Gabbie. The atmosphere was great and It wasn't so crowded to the point that we didn't have space to walk. What I didn't like was that I had to constantly have my bag Infront of me to prevent my valuables from being stolen as I checked my wallet was safely in my bag every 5minutes! We each bought food to share among each other and so that we would have more space in our stomachs to try other local Taiwanese delights! I truly like their local food especially their baked potato thing, I don't know the official name for it but what I know is that it taste so delicious. What I didn't expect was that they didn't have dustbins so we had to use our own plastic bags to throw all our rubbish in! Although it was inconvenient I think that this is a great way to be Eco friendly and that we should learn from their recycling ways. They also had a great variety of clothes and shoes, definitely a shopping heaven for me except that time was limited and so was my money so I didn't get to buy much! However I hope to go to Fengjia night market again!

No comments:

Post a Comment