Thursday, 6 February 2014

Chinese New Year Reflections

Jean: The colour that I will use to describe chinese new year is definitely red of course! It's like the colour of prosperity and that's when all the houses start to get more red from all the decorations!!! The symbol I chose is  春 but upside down. It means spring, one of the four seasons. And as CNY is known as the Spring Festival, this symbol signifies the arrival of the Spring festival as flipping it upside down means '春 到' and I find this very meaningful!



  
Of course, it's a red packet! Chinese New Year is the period that I will feel extremely happy because of red packets aka the angbaos because I could get lots of money and buy some of my favourite stuff!





Gabbie: Chinese New Year!! :)
One colour that i would use to describe CNY would definitely be red, who wouldn't think of red during CNY, everywhere you go will be filled with red designs and decorations which really makes you feel the New Year spirit! One symbol i would use is the 福字, i think its really meaningful as they put it upside down so it would be "福到" so you would see it almost in every house. 




And one image that i would use for CNY is of course.... FOOD!! I really loveeeeeeee the new year goodies but its so fattening! :( so i couldn't eat much of it which was so sad! I won't be able to really enjoy CNY without the goodies :):)( My love for food!!!)





Yixiang:For me, Chinese New Year is a time for me to visit my relatives in Johor, Malaysia, and send the festive season with them. As all of us are busy, we hardly time for a family reunion with my relatives. It is also time for me to eat delicacies that are not found after Chinese New Year. My favorite snack is still the pineapple tarts. It's sweet and nice. I also get lots of red packets from my relatives and feel very happy. I hope that the school will extend the holiday so that I could visit my relatives that are living in Penang.

Kaiming: Chinese New Year was a fun time for me. I went visiting a usual and ate a lot too. What I really liked was how the school supported Chinese New Year with the many activities planned for us. We had to design our class according to Chinese New Year which was a great experience for classmates to bond. We also had Chinese New Year celebrations/concert. The many performances left us with mouths open and hands clapping. Many classes, CCAs and other groups of students also gathered together to 捞余生. Friends visited each other's classes as well which was a fun experience for me. I really applaud the school for making an effort to help support Chinese New Year.

Petra: One color that I would use to describe Chinese New Year is red! According to tales and legends, the beginning of Chinese New Year started with the fight against a mythical beast called the Nian. Nian would come on the first day of New Year to devour livestock, crops, and even villagers, especially children. To protect themselves, the villagers would put food in front of their doors at the beginning of every year and believed that after the Nian ate the food they prepared, it wouldn’t attack any more people. Once, people saw the Nian was scared away by a little child wearing red, they then understood that the Nian was afraid of the color red. Hence, every time when New Year was about to come, the villagers would hang red lanterns and spring scroll on windows and doors. We see red all over during Chinese New Year, in our clothing as well as our decorations and even our Ang pao! Thus the color I would use to describe Chinese New Year is red! 

One symbol I would use to describe Chinese New Year is this symbol of a dragon simply because I was born in the year of the dragon!


One imagine I would use to describe Chinese New Year is this picture of family. I believe Chinese New Year is all about spending more happy and fun times with family and relatives. For me, my family is what makes Chinese New Year so special every year! I also think that without Chinese New Year we might not even meet up with certain relatives so this is a good opportunity to do so!


No comments:

Post a Comment